Should I be dead?
As a thread off a friend's blog I feel the need to spill on this issue(Psst...Kat, I hope you don't mind!) The topic of discussion? Euthanasia of disabled babies before they are born. A medical college in Britain is calling on health professions to consider permitting the euthanasia of seriously disabled newborn babies. I understand the Netherlands allows euthanasia in a wide range of circumstances of severe disability or painful conditions. Will other countries follow? I don't know, I can only hope not. I cherish my life and I wonder how far this line of euthanasia will be pushed. Where will the line been drawn? What constitutes seriously disabled? I have a mild form of Cerebral Palsy and though I am not considered seriously disabled if society genetically eliminates everyone who has a serious disability would I not then be classified as seriously disabled? Would then anyone who would be born after that time be "mercifully eliminated" because they are seriously disabled and we as a society wouldn't want them at a disadvantage to everyone else? I'm not saying that I haven't had my struggles as a person with disabilities who tries to maintain herself in a world to tends to move at a pace that I can't keep up with. That being said I'd much rather be here in the slow lane and on the fringe than not here at all.
There are challenges to raising children with disabilities, but so it is with all children. What my parents had to deal with emotionally, financially and socially to care for not one but two children with disabilities is a daily reminder of their strength of love us and each other. It was not easy and at times they had to face the very real possibility of my brother or I not living out the night. And, it's a personal cost I'll never know how high a price they've paid. But my parents have never wished that they had a so called easier way out. To be given a get out of jail free card for the overall good of families, and to suggest that it spares parents the emotional burden and financial hardship of bringing up the hardest-hit babies as is proposed...it's rubbish.
Some of the sweetest babies I have come into contact with have been severely disabled and the parents have been happy as clams to have such gems in their lives. Happiness in families is not dependent on physical health of the children.
I could go on and on, there are some many tangents I could take this...But, this is it for now.



2 Comments:
J'aime, I'm honored that you followed up on the issue and posted on it here (and I hope you don't mind if I link this to mine?)
Your reflections here are tremendously powerful. Because of your personal experiences you have a unique level of authority to speak out against this proposed legislation and be respected and heard. I really hope that many people will read and consider what you have to say about this issue. Thank you for your honesty and courage, I really admire you for this.
Of course not, I stole it from you! ;)
It is an issue that I think at times is often portrayed as faceless therefore victimless crime against humanity. IF you think of it as an issue that only concerns SOMETHING that ISN'T born it's much easier to dismiss an potentially "financial and emotionally" draining child.
As for your compliments...aaawhaw...you make me blushy...stop it! ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home