Sunday, October 15, 2006

You, me and a friend

What constitutes a mob? By Canada's definition, a mob can comprise of three people or more. Did you also know that in Canada, The Riot Act can be read if there are three or more people who won't dissipate. After The Riot Act is read the law enforcement branch can by law go into a 'crowd' and use any means necessary to return the peace.

I was struck by this thought and wondered what would happen if a couple of friends and I decided to raise a little hell and get in the face of a branch of the government, police, business or someone well connected. Could we be considered a threat and warrant the police being called in? Not too long ago, I was at odds with a large company, who could have at any time called in security or law enforcement and forcibly remove my friends and I from their establishment. Under Canadian Law, my little band of supporters, constitutes a mob. Of course, the situation was eventually resolved and dealt with calmly and politely. But that doesn't negate the fact that my friends and I were ready to make a big fuss and cause a disturbance in their store if we didn't get satisfaction.


Could my family, friends and I be a mob?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, with the level of customer "service" they were offering you...we might've just turned into a mob! However, the calm, peaceful (letter-writing to the head honchos) method seemed to work much better than us getting pepper sprayed out of a store! :)

2:04 AM  
Blogger A girl with many thoughts... said...

Nice as it was that it all worked out to have been pepper sprayed or hauled off to jail would have been interesting too.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counter