Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A little theft

I had an unusual visit the other day from a trio of little girls who rang my doorbell. I had checked through the window to see who it was and saw the oldest of the trio taking the empty pop bottles that were near our door. I assume she decided that it was okay to steal the cans because she thought no one was home. Up until that point I wasn't going to answer the door because I was in my pajamas, but when I saw this theft I threw on a sweater and went outside. The girls were already down the street and as I watched them pass my house to go home, I called out and said, "You needn't steal them, here, take this one too." I emptied another bottle in the garden and put it on a table that's near our door. The girls slowly and abashly came up the driveway to gather the bottle for refund. I went inside and took two partially full boxes and gave them to the girls to dump in their wagon. They looked frightened as I took back the boxes, like they'd much rather run than look at me. I said that next time they wanted bottles to just ask and they can have them. Not to steal them. After they realized that I wasn't going punish or scold, I saw smiles and confusion in their faces. They thanked me and scurried down the driveway, very likely hoping that wouldn't call their parents. And, perhaps, with the resolution never to come to my door again.

I wasn't mad, but sad to see this kind of behaviour in ones so young. Yet knowing myself as one of those kids who thought they could get away with anything, it gives me hope. After all, I turned out alright.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katinka said...

I don't know...I remember stealing raspberries from a neighbours back garden...and look how I turned out! :P

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's true, Kat, but there's always your pirate genes to consider! :)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Katinka said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Katinka said...

(Aye, Aye...'tis true. Now I just wear my eyepatch and cutlass to the Drive-In.)

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counter