Thursday, May 04, 2006

Number One

"..you don't hold with that saying, 'Everyone look after himself, and take care of number one?' "

"..that is a selfish, heathenish saying, whoever uses it; and any man who thinks he has nothing to do but take care of number one, why, it's a pity..."

I read this last night, again, and it still impacts me after all these years. I listen to people and am sadden when I hear this mantra ring loud and clear in everything they do, say and believe. I don't understand how this belief helps someone. From what I often see, it not only distances but impresses upon everyone around a hardness of character that is arrogant, base and sometimes even cruel. For such a popular idea of 'me first, you later, if I think about' it makes me shutter. I think that it is a horrible, cowardly way of going through life. We are creatures of dependance, we need to be around people. To converse, argue, sympathize...to interact with those around us is precious. If you think of yourself first all the time, you soon find that others choose not to be around.

It is lonely when you think of no one else but yourself.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you, my dear, are the complete opposite of the "me first" attitude. You're one of the most thoughtful people I know and I am so blessed to have you as my friend!

1:42 AM  
Blogger Katinka said...

I can see why that makes you shudder...as we all know you're the kind of person to make your own needs least important. I admire this attitude and practice of graciousness...

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe when someone says this they have confused the saying with another one.. that they have mixed it up somehow. As when someone says.. Take care of yourself first.. but it is so that you are well enough to care for those around you that you care so much for. If you are not 'well' then how can they themselves be looked after. If you are not positive and healthy.. then they will get the wrong idea and follow your unhealthy and defeatice attitude. Planting the idea of looking after yourself is not a selfish one in that respect.

10:22 AM  
Blogger A girl with many thoughts... said...

Very true, anonymous. Indeed, to be healthy mentally, physically and spiritually is extremely important. And something that everyone should strive for. This is something that not only is good for you but naturally touches everyone you interact with. And, that is my whole point. To be considerate, compassionate and understanding of those and the world around you seems to be more healthy than being concerned with the more superficial trappings of what society says we should strive for.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counter