Sunday, April 16, 2006

Good ol ham cooking!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on The Great Ham Experiment!

Well, you will be glad to know that I didn't burn the house down trying to cook for Easter dinner. It was quite easy with clear directions and despite not having a gourmet's talent, I managed to cook the ham. It was touch and go there for a while, the directions calling for me to find a pan or something like it to place the ham in. My mother, to the rescue! She had a baking dish for me all cleaned and ready. I was then suppose to make a bath and gently place our little ham in. No doubt for it to relax and contemplate its exsistance. Then, the directions told me to cover the ham with a strange silver covering that used to better our tv signal. Unusual, I know. But, when in Rome... After I got over my shock of all this weird doings, I placed our bather in the oven. And, sooner than I expected, a perfectly cooked honey glazed ham with a good sweat exited. Mike carved it and placed it on the table to a gladden the hearts of those waiting stomachs.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am attempting today a most momentous and spectacular feat! I am doing something that I try to avoid and going into the kitchen. Not only that, I am cooking! A honey glazed ham at that! Friends and family may be gasping and reaching for the smelling salts...

I have never professed to be a cook or to have anything resembling a cooking gene. My 'cooking' is usually something like putting chicken strips and fries on a baking sheet. Or at most, a homemade salad tossed a la J'aime! Though, in fact, there are those who think that it would be better for mankind if I never touched a dicing knife. I know it makes Mike nervous when I do take one in hand.

My history with the kitchen has produced some interesting results. Most recently, tried to do a chocolate fondue and managed to burn off the glaze on the fondue pot. When I was younger I also burned out the bottom of a pot trying to make popcorn. In grade 8, I scorched the walls of our kitchen trying to melt butter in a pan for a home education project. I got a few flames and promptly threw water onto it and turned the burning oil into a grease fire. You can imagine after that one, my parents forbid me to use the stove.

Which makes me wonder that I've decided to take on a ham. Not to say it's anything like a turkey, but this is a meat product. And, my experience with unooked meat is me usually at the computer shouting at Mike to tell me when I can breathe again. Yet now, I with a determinded heart and steeled nerves I put on my apron!

I'll let you know how it turns out...meanwhile I have emergency on speed dial!

4 Comments:

Blogger Katinka said...

Oh no, have YOU joined the dark side of domesticity, J'aime????
Never fear, I'll be right over! ;)
(fires are my speciality)

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo, how did it turn it? Are you going to be hosting elegant, elaborate dinner parties soon? :) I will totally come!

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is great! I do not think I have ever cooked a ham before . . . sounds interesting! You know there is something about the art of cooking that is all too intereeging (spelling?).. yet still untouched and mysterious to me!!! Something about the art of it!!

(Denise"s friend- Alissa)

5:24 PM  
Blogger A girl with many thoughts... said...

Thank you for for concerns and/or rounds of applause. The whole experience was wonderous and new. I hope I never have to do it again...

Welcome Alissa! Great to have your comments. Nice to hear from you.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counter