Friday, April 14, 2006

Loss

On such a day as Good Friday, when millions of believers mourn the cruxification of Jesus Christ, I muse on the pain of having to know that someone you love is about to die and the subsequent mourning. A couple of friends are dealing with this kind of pain and suffering. They knew it was coming, this tragedy of experiencing that the one you love is going to die. Now, death has come, my thoughts and prayers are naturally focused on them and their loved ones. I think of what they are going through and how helpless I feel when someone I love is pained so. I find myself once again on the fringe of that familiar territory of grieving, loss and torment. Which makes me think how that must have been what those around me felt when my brother died. I also remember what I felt and how I saw that those around me were helpless to comfort me! How then can I be there for my friends and empathize with this deep, deep pain? The only answer I can fathom is that because I have had such a loss I know somewhat of what they are going through. I can only draw from my own experience to help in anyway I can and support my friends during this time. Yet, the feeling of helplessness lingers...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how I felt when Nick died, and there was really nothing I could do to make you feel any better. I tried my best to just be there, whatever you needed me for. I can only imagine that's what our friends need us to do now also. Prayers and just being there, that's what we can do!

2:34 AM  
Blogger A girl with many thoughts... said...

Yes, I totally agree.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counter