Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I smell a rat

I received an 'invitation' by Michelle who was going with another friend to a 'new television show' screening. Now considering that a trip out to Vancouver is more unusual for me, that I hadn't seen one friend for a while and that to do something different other than hanging out on a monday night sounded somewhat interesting to me. However, I completely forgot about this invitation. Imagine my surprise, when Michelle called me at 3:30pm the next day and asked me if I was ready for the evening. I think my exact reaction was, "huh, what?"

We headed out to Vancouver! Yay!! Fun, fun! We get to the hotel and after surveying the other VIPS, got shuffled into a conference room with three televisions and are told to fill out a short survey of products we'd like to have in our gift bags if our name is drawn.
I smell a rat. We were then told to go to the bathroom before it starts as no one is allowed to leave during the two hours the viewing is on. My bladder protests...What if I HAVE to go to the bathroom? lol And, as someone pointed out all those jugs of water outside the conference room seemed a cruel joke. I smell a rat!

We 'watch'; a very, very, I mean VERY BAD 'pilot' with an actress and actor that seemed to me anyways, apologizing for the performance. Like look, we know we suck. We had to do this, I needed rent money and when I go called for this, I said, why not? No one is going to air this.
Ohh ohhh, if they only knew the torment that I and everyone else was in, having to watch. A bad harlequin romance crossed with a previous lives plot that made no sense.
I smell a rat and what time is it? 8:07 The one highlight of this show was that Michelle lost it and started to giggle and laugh. I found out later that she also had tears. I have to admit, I too, had to surpress my laughter which lead to body shaking giggles. We were all giggling, it was surprisingly bad. I smell a rat and what time is it? 8:20pm I turned to my 'host' and said that she owed me big.

We filled out a questionnaire on the show and after this, another survey, very like the first one on what products we liked. The guy who was reading out the questions was obviously new and stammered and reddened as he read the script. I smell a rat and what time is it? 8:30pm We were now, highly suspect that this was more a product evaluation than a showcase for new television shows. I smell a rat and what time is it? 8:36pm

The second show was ever so slightly better than the first, just in the fact that it was a situational comedy. Though, the fact that it was probably made in 1983, made it not really relevant for todays audience. I smell a rat and what time is it? 9:02pm After another questionnaire on the show, we filled out a short section on commercials and current events. Do you feel Stephen Harper going to Afghanistan was a good idea? Will the Canucks make the playoffs? Should teachers be allowed to discuss political beliefs with parents? WHAT TIME IS IT? 9:28pm Ahhhhhhh, two minutes to freedom. And, the guy now reading out the questions knew it. Faster and faster, because he knew when it hit 9:30pm we were all running for the door. He had taken over for the poor guy that seemed to apologize for our position and his part in it.

At the doors, an older man demanded from one of our captors of the real purpose of the group. It wasn't really about the shows, was it. More about the products. The smooth as cream response? It was about all the products. As we left the hotel we all expressed how we felt. Used, violated and completely duped in the real purpose to the evening. Some television showcase! Our 'host' generously offered to buy us a sundae to compensate. Well, even every horror experience has its bright moments...

2 Comments:

Blogger Katinka said...

I hope the sundae helped placate you all...otherwise you have some great blackmail material on me now *mis. grn*

1:12 AM  
Blogger A girl with many thoughts... said...

Sundae is always good. A perfect way to calm a mob. lol Or in some cases a couple of girls...

I would never blackmail you...well, maybe, but all in good fun!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counter