Noooo...
How do you stop someone from saying or doing something? When its yourself, we have those controls, self-imposed mini questions that stay our tongue or our actions. Or at least we can hope! It seems ten times more difficult to detour someone from saying or doing something that we know is going to be a very bad idea.
I've been in this situation a couple of times in the last few weeks. And, time and again, I demur...protest are dismissed and am along for the ride to witness the wreck as it were. Normally, it isn't an issue for me because everyone has a right to live their life as they choose however I've been dragged into the middle of situations that I shouldn't have been in to begin with. Obviously, I don't know how to get myself out of these sticky uncomfortable senarios.
Question is how do I draw the line in the sand between being a good friend and being a shmuck?



4 Comments:
Wow...yours is the only Blogger blog I can comment on. Bizarre, and yet mildly satistfying (ie. that I can comment at all! *grn*)
I empathise with you're stress over what to do in tricky social situations.
My problem is when other people slander someone I know in front of me. I don't want to hurt the current speaker by reprimanding them, but I also feel like a shmuck when I don't speak up in the other person's defence. Tactfully changing the topic is sometimes one of my strategies if I don't know what to say...although there are probably better ways of dealing with this.
Not knowing your situation, I'm at a loss to advise...except that be honest if you're asked for an opinion, and leave the choices and consequences to the person(s) involved.
Anyway, I'm sure that whatever the problem you'll do the right thing...you're pretty good at the diplomacy thing from what I've observed! :)
I'm glad you can comment on my blog, I find your insights poignant and often right on the mark when it comes to assessing situations around you.
I know I was vague, but as you probably already know it was for a very good reason. To give any details would have betrayed others and myself. I guess it's just one of those situations I could just stand up and say, "Well, I have had a lovely time but I have to exit stage left now." Then I shake hands with everyone and leave.
Do you think that would work?
Hi J'aime...sorry I couldn't respond until now (Blogger...*sigh*)
Anyway, I hope the situation you wrote about is resolving itself!
Ps(I tagged you in the Six Weird Things About ME game *muwhahhah*)
Situation is under control.
I've been Tagged?
Post a Comment
<< Home