Commerical Slavery
I have been troubled of late of the history of The United States and of England.
Knowing that these countries were either built on and/or sustained for several hundred years on the backs of African men, women and children makes me ashamed. Ashamed that some of the wealthiest and most respected families made others into chattel and justified it to the world. They got away with it too. Some say that this is all in the past and as a society we say, 'Look how much has changed! All men are free.' But, my conscious is pricked. We are not all free, many people of the world work for large companies and corporations in conditions that very few 'first world' citizens would tolerate. The few still profit from the many.
Slavery is NOT gone. It is very much alive and well and we condone it everyday with everyday used items. That cheap shirt, that deal on a piece of furniture and those dollarstore items that are so much more inexpensive than at the grocery store. Where do you think these cute, cheap figurines and pretty decorations come from? Most are made in countries with men, women and children too impoverished to afford that great steal at the dollar store.
I am also troubled that I too, am responsible for this indentured servitude. Perhaps not in the way that the Slave owners and traders were, but my position in the link of chains that keep my fellow man shackled is undeniable. I think of those products that I use everyday. I shutter to think that with my consumption, people must work for low pay, inhumane conditions and long hours so that I can have sugar, that toy or pair of jeans.
Why is it that because it is in a country other than our own it seems to be alright or of little concern to the average person. I despair over this 'Me first' mentality and if you are not connected to me, what do I care about you and yours? I fight against this ideology, but sometimes I wonder if I'm fighting a losing battle. I try to make informed purchases and stay away from products and companies that I have concerns about. Yet, can one person in a sea of commerical greediness do anything more than lose their voice in the deafening crash of 'first world' consumerism.



1 Comments:
Glad to know that you are on board. But, I think I knew that we thought along the same lines on this subject. Thanks for your thoughts...
Post a Comment
<< Home